3D Printed standard gauge Locomotives

standard gauge locos .

---------------------------------------------------------

All 3D printed designs by Simon Dawson (Rue d'Étropal) , currently produced to order by Shapeways. Just follow links to Shapeways pages.

 

===============================

Link to:

          3D printed standard gauge rolling stock

        3D printed narrow gauge locomotives

            3D printed narrow gauge rolling stock

        3D printed broad gauge locomotives

         3D printed Irish 5ft 3in Broad Gauge

        3D printed track and accessories

        3D printed road vehicles

        3D printed modular buildings

  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> back to 3D Printing Menu

 

Pictures are just for reference, not of specific scaled model.  

           
Ford Dagenham diesel electric shunter Hawthorn-Leslie 0-6-0F Fireless loco Standard Gauge Simplex shunting loco Standard Gauge 50hp 8ton Simplex shunting loco    
North Sunderland Railway Manning Wardle Bamburgh North Sunderland Railway Armstrong Whitworth diesel Cockerill type IV vertical boiler steam loco Gaston Moyse 8T loco Baldwin 50hp gas mechanical loco (SG conversion)  
Longmoor Military Railway 0-6-T Sir John French KESR 0-8-0T Hecate Shropshire and Montgomery Railway Loco Gazelle  Shropshire &Montgomery Railway No 2 Severn LSWR/KESR Saddleback loco  
Corringham Light Rilway Kerr Stuart loco Kynite Kitson 0-4-0wt loco        
Garstang and Knott End Railway 0-4-2ST Loco HEBE  Garstang and Knott End Railway 0-6-0ST Loco HOPE  Garstang and Knott End Railway 0-6-0ST Loco FARMERS FRIEND Garstang and Knott End Railway 0-4-0ST Loco UNION Garstang and Knott End Railway 0-6-0ST Loco JUBILEE QUEEN Garstang and Knott End Railway 0-6-0ST Loco NEW CENTURY
Garstang and Knott End Railway 0-6-0T KNOTT END Garstang and Knott End Railway 2-6-0T BLACKPOOL        
LMS Fowler 2-6-4T LMS Fowler 2-6-2T Midland Railway Battery Loco North Staffordshire Railway Battery Loco    
GCR C13 4-4-2T loco GCR A5 4-6-2T loco        
SR Class W 2-6-4 loco Bulleid Q1 loco LSWR O2 Loco PDSWJR 0-6-2T loco LSWR Beattie Well Tank Loco  
J94 austerity 060T GER/LNER Y6 loco GER/LNER J70 tram loco NER EE1 electric loco NER O(LNER G5) class 0-4-4T loco NER P3(LNER J27) class 0-6-0 loco
GWR Collett Goods loco(2251)          
BRGWR)Gas Turbine loco 18000 BR (GWR) Gas Turbine loco 181000 BR class 80 prototype AC electric loco GT3 Gas Turbine loco BR class 23(Baby Deltic) loco  BR class 41(Warship) loco 
Metropolitan Railway Camelback electric loco Metropolitan Railway BTH Boxcab electric loco Metropolitan Railway Metro-Vick electric loco Metropolitan Railway class K 2-6-4T loco Metropolitan Railway class H 4-4-4T loco Met/LNER H2 4-4-4T loco
Metropolitan Railway class G 0-6-4T loco Met/LNER class M2 0-6-4T loco Metropolitan Railway class F 0-6-2T loco Metropolitan Railway class E 0-4-4T loco Metropolitan Railway class D 2-4-0T loco Metropolitan Railway class C 0-4-4T loco
Metropolitan Railway class A 4-4-0T loco Metropolitan Railway Peckett 0-6-0ST loco Metropolitan Railway Hunslet 0-6-0T loco District Railway Electric Loco    
Description Model Scales
     
Standard Gauge    
Steam Locomotives    
 

J94 austerity 060T

This is my first standard gauge loco. Done specifically for HO scale as few British models in this scale. It is also suitable for French HO as at least 2 operated in French industry.

Chassis wise this HO version should fit a Bachmann OO gauge BR 03 diesel shunter chassis. This is the new Bachmann one not the old Mainline one. Some slight mods might be required to body. The chassis sits back to front, and coupling rod extensions will need removing. Otherwise it looks like it fits OK.

Y6 loco Body

The original smaller 040 tram loco built for dockyards but mostly associated with the Wisbech and Upwell tramway, and very similar to its bigger J70 060 version. Best known as Toby in railway stories.

 

y6-tram-loco-boiler

basic boiler interior for Y6 tram loco . Room to add some weight in boiler

 

 

GER/LNER J70 tram loco

The bigger brother for the original smaller 040 tram loco built for dockyards but mostly associated with the Wisbech and Upwell tramway. Best known as Toby in railway stories. 
Hawthorn-Leslie 0-6-0F Fireless loco

An 0-6-0 version of standard Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-o fireless loco. This one was initially built for use at Slacks Valley Generating Station Chadderton,in 1929, and in 1958 transferred to CEGB Huncoat where it operated as number 3. 
This is body only.Chassis required along with fittings. 

 
 

 

 

Shropshire and Montgomery Railway Loco Gazelle

Gazelle was built in 1893 by A. Dodman & Co Ltd, Highgate Works, Kings Lynn,as a 2-2-2 well tank to the order of a Mr William Burkett for his private use.
Colonel Stephens bought her in 1911, for use as an engineer's inspection train on the Shropshire and Montgomery Railway and then rebuilt her as an 0-4-2 well tank,with a cab and tender enclosure fitted, by WG Bagnall Ltd. 
Gazelle continued to run up to the WW2, and was was used by the War Department when they took over the line, up till 1945.Nothing happened until the line was closed, when she was moved to Longmoor Military Railway, and put on display. She is now on display at the Kent and East Sussex Railway.

Requires wheels,chassis etc

 
 

 

SR Class W 2-6-4 loco

The SR Class W were 3-cylinder 2-6-4T tank engines designed in 1929 by Richard Maunsell for use on the Southern Railway . They were introduced in 1932 and constructed at Eastleigh and Ashford. The class was intended for short distance, inter-company/regional freight traffic transfer in London, and were standardised with parts from the N, N1, U and U1 classes.

requires detailing, chassis etc

 
 Shropshire &Montgomery Railway No 2 Severn (early)

Shropshire and Montgomery Railway No 2 , Severn, (originally named Hecate). 0-4-2 tank loco. 
Cab altered during time on the railway. Both versions available. 

This is early cab version

Require chassis and finishing off

   
Shropshire &Montgomery Railway No 2 Severn (late)

Shropshire and Montgomery Railway No 2 , Severn, (originally named Hecate). 0-4-2 tank loco. 
Cab altered during time on the railway. Both versions available. 

This is later cab version

Require chassis and finishing off

 

   
 

LMS Fowler 2-6-4T

125 examples of the class were built. The last 30 numbered 2395 to 2424 were fitted with side-window cabs. The LMS classified them 4P, BR 4MT. They were the basis for a family of subsequent LMS/BR Class 4 2-6-4T locomotives.

Originally built with a large side opening to cab, which was found to cause problems when running in reverse. Cabs were modified from mid 30s, but final batch of locos(often referred to as limosines) was built with side windows which solved the problem.
After WW2 external steam pipes and new cylinders s were fitted to improve steaming, and both cab versions were modified in this way.

Body only, requires chassis and finishing

 

Original version  

 

Original with modified cab  

 

Limousine cab version  

 

Modified cab version with external steam pipes  

 

Limousine cab version with external steam pipes  

LMS Fowler 2-6-2T

70 examples of the class were built. They were intended as a smaller version of the successful 2-6-4t already in use, but they were underpowered and not popular. Some were fitted with condensing apparatus for use in London tunnels, and others were fitted for pushpull duties.

After WW2 external steam pipes were fitted to improve steaming, and new Stanier type chimney, but this did not improve things, as main problem was the underpowered boiler.

Body only, requires chassis and finishing

original version  
modified version  

 

 

Bulleid Q1 loco

loco body



The SR Q1 class is a type of austerity steam locomotive constructed during the Second World War. It was designed by Oliver Bulleid for use on the intensive freight turns experienced during wartime on the Southern Railway.

Could also be used for an 0-8-0 variation(fictional but plausible)

Requires chassis and finishing

Require chassis and finishing off

More fictional but plausible  versions HERE

Bulleid Q1 loco

loco tender body

l

The SR Q1 class is a type of austerity steam locomotive constructed during the Second World War. It was designed by Oliver Bulleid for use on the intensive freight turns experienced during wartime on the Southern Railway.

Could also be used for other Q1 variation(fictional but plausible)

Requires chassis and finishing

Require chassis and finishing off

More fictional but plausible  versions HERE

 

 

 

 
North Sunderland Railway Manning Wardle Bamburgh

Built for the North Sunderland Railway in 1898, described as a modified class L design. Finally scrapped in 1949, having worked on the line, on and off since the line opened.

Requires chassis,wheels etc
 

Cockerill type IV vertical boiler steam loco

Built by Cockerill in Belgium. The type 4 was built from 1883 to 1949, and was a very successful shunting loco. Some were fitted to pull coaches. 
Several preserved.


Requires wheels,chassis 
 
   

 

 

GCR C13 4-4-2T loco


The GCR introduced steam railmotors in 1904. By 1922, their unpopularity led to them being withdrawn, and the coach parts were converted into trailers. By1931 they were paired with ex LDECR 6 wheel coaches and in 1933 these were replaced with ex London suburban coaches, converted from all 1st class to composites with a brake compartment replacing one end compartment. 
Ex GCR C13 4-4-2T locos were adapted for pushpull and used with these coaches in South Manchester area up till end of 1950s. 
C13 pushpull locos were also used on the Chalfont to Chesham branchline with ex Metropolitan stock until line was electrified at end of 1950s. 


Requires bogies,wheels etc and finishing.

GCR coaches here

 
  CR/LNER A5(9N) Loco


Late GCR/LNER modified version with side cab windows

The Great Central Railway Class 9N, classified A5 by the LNER, was a class of 4-6-2 tank locomotives designed by John G. Robinson for suburban passenger services.

The GCR built 21 locomotives at Gorton Works in three batches between 1911 and 1917. They ordered a fourth batch of ten from Gorton, but this was not built until after the 1923 Grouping. The LNER then ordered a fifth batch of 13 to a modified design, incorporating reduced boiler mountings and detail differences, and these were built by the outside contractors Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. during 1925–26.

Requires bogies,wheels etc and finishing.
LSWR O2 loco
(Isle of Wight version)


The LSWR O2 Class was a class of 0-4-4T steam locomotive designed for the London and South Western Railway by William Adams. Sixty were constructed during the late nineteenth century. 

After electrification of many of the Southern Railway lines used by the O2s , they became redundant. Some were scrapped, but two O2s were shipped across the Solent in 1923 and trialled extensively on services across the island, resulting in 23 ultimately being transferred to the island. Although the lack of adequate coal bunker space initially hampered the class, once bunkers were extended they were very successful, and ran services up till electrification of the last surviving island railway.


Requires chassis,wheels etc
LSWR O2 loco

(mainland version)

Requires chassis,wheels etc

PDSWJR 0-6-2T loco

For the PDSWJR Callington Branch so Colonal Stephens ordered these 0-6-2Ts in 1907. Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and Lord St Leven were largely made up of the same standard components as Hecate on KESR, indeed in many respects they were identical but with the addition of a Belpaire firebox. 
They were very successful and continued in service on the line till mid 50s when Ivatt tank locos replaced them.
A similar loco was later supplied to Woolmar/Longmoor Military Railway, with some changes such as extended coal box. 

Requires wheels,chassis etc
Longmoor Military Railway 0-6-2T Loco Sir John French

Based on the original locos supplied to PDSWJR ,for Callington Branch, and entered service in 1911 . It had a few changes, such as outside valve gear, larger water tanks and extended coal bunker. 
A very successful loco, continued in service up till end of WW2 and then scrapped.

Requires wheels,chassis etc
KESR 0-8-0T Loco Hecate

Originally ordered for the KESR, arriving in 1905. It was not really suitable, being too heavy and rigid for the lightweight track, and was swapped with the Southern Railway in 1931 for some items of tock and another loco . The SR found it useful, and replaced the boiler in 1939, and it then soldiered on at Nine Elms until 1950 when it was involved in a crash and scrapped.
The PDSWJR 0-6-2T locos were based on this design, and were very successful. 

Requires wheels,chassis etc
Corringham Light Railway

Kerr Stuart Waterloo class loco 0-4-2 Knynite



The Corringham Light Railway was built to connect the village of Corringham to the newly built ammunitions factory at Tames Haven in Essex. Primarily for workers at factory. 
The line opened in 1901 and closed in the 1950s

This was the second loco bought by the railway, in 1903.It was a standard Kerr Stuart design known as the Waterloo class after it being initially supplied to the Waterloo Sugar Estates Ltd in Trinidad. The design could be supplied in various track gauges, and a 3ft gauge version was also supplied to the RedlakeTramway in Devon. 
The loco was named Kynite and was used up till 1923, then stored till 1930 and scrapped, eventually being broken up in 1953. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Kitson 0-4-0WT loco Cordite

The Corringham Light Railway was built to connect the village of Corringham to the newly built ammunitions factory at Tames Haven in Essex. Primarily for workers at factory. 
The line opened in 1901 and closed in the 1950s

The first loco was a Kitson o-4-oWT , one of 3 originally built for the West Lancashire Railway and returned to builds as they were not suitable.One of the other 2 was bought by the Liverpool Overhead Railway, but the fate of the other loco is unknown. 

The loco was weak, and could only pull one coach o the Corringham Light Railway. It was withdrawn in 1930. The LOR loco lasted longer, primarily because a new boiler was fitted, altering its appearance and other alterations were made including extending rear buffer beam and moving backwards. It then lasted into 1940s/50s being replaced by a Ruston 48D. 


Model based on known dimensions and photos. Alterations were made to locos over the years.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway Class K 2-6-4T loco

built by Armstrong Whitworth in 1925, using parts manufactured at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, to the design of the SECR N Class 2-6-0 locomotives .


Sold to LNER in 1939, and as non standard locos withdrawn when major repairs required and scrapped between 1943 and 1948.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway H class 4-4-4T loco



Introduced between October 1920 and June 1921. The H Class were considered to be good engines well-suited to the express trains they worked, allowing for a reduction in running times of up to six minutes. They were designed with a hauling capacity of 250 long tons .

When the steam-hauled services were transferred from London Transport to the London and North Eastern Railway in 1937, all eight H Class locomotives were included to continue working the same trains. The LNER numbered them 6415–6422 and classified them as H2 Class. In the 1940s, they were moved from Neasden (LNER) shed to the Nottingham area and worked over other parts of the former Great Central Railway system.

All were withdrawn and scrapped between 1942 and 1947.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway/LNER H2 class 4-4-4T loco



Introduced between October 1920 and June 1921. The H Class were considered to be good engines well-suited to the express trains they worked, allowing for a reduction in running times of up to six minutes. They were designed with a hauling capacity of 250 long tons .

When the steam-hauled services were transferred from London Transport to the London and North Eastern Railway in 1937, all eight H Class locomotives were included to continue working the same trains. The LNER numbered them 6415–6422 and classified them as H2 Class. In the 1940s, they were moved from Neasden (LNER) shed to the Nottingham area and worked over other parts of the former Great Central Railway system.

All were withdrawn and scrapped between 1942 and 1947.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway G class 0-6-4T loco

The Metropolitan Railway G Class consisted of four 0-6-4T steam locomotives, numbered 94 to 97.They were built by Yorkshire Engine Company in 1915. 
In 1937 when all four were transferred to the LNER. The LNER numbered them 6154–6157 and classified them as M2 Class.
All were withdrawn and scrapped between 1943 and 1948. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway/LNER M2 class 0-6-4T loco


The Metropolitan Railway G Class consisted of four 0-6-4T steam locomotives, numbered 94 to 97.They were built by Yorkshire Engine Company in 1915. 
In 1937 when all four were transferred to the LNER. The LNER numbered them 6154–6157 and classified them as M2 Class.
All were withdrawn and scrapped between 1943 and 1948. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
   Metropolitan Railway F class 0-6-2T loco

The F class was based on the earlier E Class. Four locomotives, numbered 90 to 93 were built by Yorkshire Engine Company in 1901.

They were intended to work freight trains over the Metropolitan Railway mainline.
All remained with London Transport and were scrapped between 1957 and 1962.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway E class 0-4-4T loco

The Metropolitan Railway E Class was a class of 0-4-4T steam locomotives totalling seven locomotives ,built between 1896 and 1901.
They were displaced from the main passenger trains by the 4-4-4T H Class in 1920, moving to lesser jobs such as trains on the Chesham branch, goods trains and engineering duties.
Four locos were taken into London Transport stock, and one survived into 1960s and is now preserved. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
Metropolitan Railway D class 2-4-0T loco

six 2-4-0T tank engines were built in 1894-1895 by Sharp, Stewart and Company. 
Withdrawn from 1920. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
Metropolitan Railway C class 0-4-4T loco


Four locomotives built in 1891 by Neilson and Company. They were to a design by James Stirling, originally the Q class of the South Eastern Railway.

Withdrawn from 1920. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
Metropolitan Railway A class 4-4-0T loco



built by Beyer Peacock, first used in 1864. A total of 40 A Class and 26 of the slightly different B Class were delivered by 1885. 
Originally used in underground lines, but after electrification , many transferred to mainline, sold or scrapped. Cabs added after transfer to openair duties and in this form one was used on Brill branch until that line closed and continued as a yard shunter up till 1948 and is now preserved in early cabless condition. 


Requires finishing off, wheels etc
Metropolitan Railway A class 4-4-0T loco

version with condensing pipes removed

   Metropolitan Railway Peckett 0-6-0ST loco 

In 1897 and 1899, the Met received two 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotives to a standard Peckett design(type X). Unclassified by the Met, these were generally used for shunting at Neasden and Harrow.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
Metropolitan Railway Hunslet 0-6-0T loco

in 1931 two locos were bought from Hunslet to replace 2 of the A class locos on shunting duties. They were taken into LT stock(numbers L30 and L31) and continued in service until 1963. 


Requires finishing off, wheels etc
 

NER Class O (LNER Class G5) 




designed by Wilson Worsdell. 

A total of 110 were built between 1894 and 1901, across seven batches.


The G5 design served its purpose well, and no substantial changes had been made by Grouping in 1923. A modified boiler design used by the LNER after 1930 for replacements. This design was further modified from 1937 and had a dome 20in further back than on the earlier boilers. 

The G5s survived pretty much intact to 1949. The first withdrawal was in 1950, but most were withdrawn between 1955 and 1958 as they were replaced by diesel railcars and DMUs (diesel multiple units). The last G5 was withdrawn in 1958. 

  NER Class O (LNER Class G5) 


original bunker version(NER)






Requires finishing off, wheels etc
NER Class O (LNER Class G5) 




Modified bunker(NER/LNER)





Requires finishing off, wheels etc


Replacement boiler(LNER/BR)



Requires finishing off, wheels etc


Hopper bunker(LNER/BR)

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  

NER P3 Class(LNER J27)

The P3 Class(LNER J27) was designed by Wilson Worsdell and was a relatively minor modification of the existing North Eastern Railway NER Class P2 (LNER Class J26). 
Initially eighty J27s were built between 1906 and 1909 in five batches, distributed amongst the NER's Darlington Works, North British Locomotive Company, Beyer, Peacock and Company, and Robert Stephenson and Company. 
Five more were delivered in 1921-2 with Schmidt superheaters and piston valves, followed by a final order of ten built by the LNER at Darlington Works in 1923. The superheated J27s could be identified by their extended smokeboxes. 

The Diagram 57 boiler was modified in 1939 to produce the Diagram 57A boiler. 
Various modifications were done over the years.

The last J27 was withdrawn in September 1967.One is preserved .




  loco Late/final (low dome, low chimney, saturated) version

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

loco Late/final (low dome, low chimney, superheated) version

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

loco Late/final (modified NER dome, saturated) version

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

loco type 57 boiler, saturated version

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

loco type 57 boiler, superheated version

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

Tender for J27 (final condition)

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

Type 2 (post 1915 built) tender for J27 (final condition)

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

  GWR Collett 2251 goods loco 


Introduced in 1930 as a replacement for the earlier Dean Goods 0-6-0s and built up to 1948.
They could be found operating on most parts of the former GWR system. 
One loco ,3205, is preserved.



Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  GWR Collett 3500 tender

standard tender introduced in 1920/30s. Used with various locos including Collett goods(2251)
  LSWR Beattie well tank loco

round splasher version




originally built between 1863 and 1875 for use on passenger services in the suburbs of London, 3 ended up on the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway, and were finally withdrawn in 1962 and two have been preserved in an operational condition. 



Requires finishing off, wheels etc
LSWR Beattie well tank loco



rectangular splasher version


originally built between 1863 and 1875 for use on passenger services in the suburbs of London, 3 ended up on the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway, and were finally withdrawn in 1962 and two have been preserved in an operational condition. 



Requires finishing off, wheels etc
 

LSWR KESR Saddleback 0330 loco

 Originally supplied to LSWR from Beyer Peacock in 1876, as shunting locos. 20 were eventually built, and all survived in SR days, after which most were either withdrawn or had some rebuilding. One was sold to KESR , 2 ended up on the East Kent Railway. The KESR one lasted till 1948, having been steamed for last time in 1946.

The design was also supplied to one Irish railway, and some other foreign railways.

 None are preserved.

 Based on drawing for KESR loco.

 Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

Garstang and Knott End Railway 

The Garstang and Knot-End Railway ran between Garstang and Pilling, in the Fylde of Lancashire. In 1898 the Knott End Railway was authorised to continue to Knott End; it opened in 1908.

Salt extraction near Preesall became a dominant industry from 1890. The passenger service was discontinued in 1930 and the line closed completely in 1965. 

Coaches HERE

Goods stock HERE

 

 

0-4-2ST HEBE loco



HEBE was the first loco on the railway, being supplied by Black,Hawthorn and Co of Gateshead-on Tyne in 1870, works number 118. It was sold on in 1872.

Based on drawing for loco,which had been done from known dimensions . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  0-6-0ST HOPE loco

.

HOPE was supplied by Hudswell Clarke in 1883, in part exchange for UNION. It worked on line till 1900 and then was part exchanged for NEW CENTURY. 

Based on drawing for loco, which had been done from known dimensions and other info from makers . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  0-6-0ST FARMERS FRIEND loco

FARMERS FRIEND was supplied by supplied by Hudswell Clarke in 1875, and returned to makers in part exchange in 1900.



Based on drawing for loco, which had been done from known dimensions and other info from makers . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
 
0-4-0ST UNION loco


UNION was originally built in 1868 by Manning Wardle and arrived on the line n 1875, eventually leaving the line in 1883 after being sold to Hudswell Clarke part exchange for HOPE.




Based on drawing for loco,which had been done from known dimensions and other info from makers . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  0-6-0ST JUBILEE QUEEN loco


JUBILEE QUEEN and NEW CENTURY were both supplied by Hudswell Clarke in 1900. Some differences between the two, in particular the chimney on NEW CENTURY was taller. Both locos survived to be taken over by the LMS but were scrapped in 1925




Based on drawing for loco,which had been done from known dimensions and other info from makers . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  0-6-0ST NEW CENTURY loco


JUBILEE QUEEN and NEW CENTURY were both supplied by Hudswell Clarke in 1900. Some differences between the two, in particular the chimney on NEW CENTURY was taller. Both locos survived to be taken over by the LMS but were scrapped in 1925




Based on drawing for loco,which had been done from known dimensions and other info from makers . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  0-6-0T KNOTT END loco


KNOTT END was purchased from Manning Wardle for the opening of the line to Knott End in 1908.It survived into LMS ownership and was scrapped in 1924.



Based on drawing for loco,which had been done from known dimensions and other info from makers . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  2-6-0T BLACKPOOL loco


BLACKPOOL was purchased from Manning Wardle in 1909, intended for freight but also used on passenger trains. It was the biggest and most powerful loco on the line, and was probably the only 2-6-0T loco operating in Britain. It continued in operation until 1927.



Based on drawing for loco,which had been done from known dimensions and other info from makers . 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
Diesel/Petrol locomotives    

Ford Dagenham diesel electric shunter

Body for the diesel electric shunter used at Ford Dagenham from the 30s up to the 60s, and now preserved at KESR. 
Information colected from various sources, but specially David Smith who supplied dimensions, he had collected to build model for Luton MRC, and featured in BRM. Also to members of RMweb who supplied information, including original drawings and photos. 

 
 

 

 

Standard Gauge Simplex shunting loco

At the end of WW1 Simplex experimented with a slightly modified armoured Simplex loco on a tandard gauge chassis. After WW1 they simplified th body, creating a very open cabbed loco. It found use on both industrial and mainline railway systems. Alternative enclosed cabs offering more room were later either provided as standard, or were added by companies themselves. Many suurvived in to BR days, and examples of various types are preserved. 

This is based on the original open type. There were many minor differences in locos,such as seats and fuel tank, so this is more more generalised version. 

Requires finishing off, wheels and mechanism etc. 

 
Standard Gauge 50hp 8ton Simplex shunting loco

This was a standard gauge version of the type 60S narrow gauge Simplex loco. It proved surprisingly good at shunting standard gauge. 


Requires chassis and finishing

 
North Sunderland Railway Armstrong Whitworth diesel

Built in 1933 by Armstrong Whitworth after successfully testing pre-production prototype diesel electic loco on the North Sunderland line. Carried name 'The Lady Armstrong'.
One of 5, it ran until 1946, and put to one side as no spares available. Finally scrapped in 1949.
2 of the sister locos have been preserved, one at Beamish, and and one at Tanfield Railway(re-engined)

Requires chassis,wheels etc
 
  Gaston Moyse 8Tn loco

Gaston Moyse produced small petrol and diesel locos in Paris from 1922 up till 1970s, for both industry and main line railways. At least one of their locos operated in Britain(Atlas Stone Company,Meldreth) during 1930s.

This was one of their small locos, based on drawings in French magazine. One example still exists , plinthed outside Gare de Saint-Rambert d'Albon.

Requires wheels,chassis 
Baldwin 50hp gas mechanical loco

Supplied to the French and American military in WW1. After the war many were used by industrial and light railways. Some were also converted into standard gauge locos. Many narrow gauge and at least one standard gauge loco are preserved in working order. 

Requires wheels,chassis 

BR(GWR) Gas Turbine loco 18000

18000 was a prototype mainline gas turbine-electric locomotive built for British Railways in 1949 by Brown, Boveri & Cie. It had, however, been ordered by the Great Western Railway in 1946,but construction was delayed. It spent its working life on the Western Region of British Railways, operating express passenger services from Paddington station, London. 

At the end of 1960 18000 was withdrawn from operation and was stored at Swindon Works for four years. It then returned to mainland Europe, where for more than ten years it was used, in substantially altered (and no longer gas-turbine-powered) form, for experiments concerning the interaction between steel wheels and steel rails, under the auspices of the International Union of Railways. 
In the early 1990s it was secured for preservation. It returned to the UK and initially kept at The Railway Age, Crewe. then moved to Didcot Railway Centre. 

Requires chassis,wheels etc
  Gas Turbine loco 181000

British Railways 18100 was a prototype main line gas turbine-electric locomotive built for British Railways in 1951 by Metropolitan-Vickers, Manchester. It had, however, been ordered by the Great Western Railway in the 1940s, but construction was delayed due to World War II. It spent its working life on the Western Region of British Railways, operating express passenger services from Paddington station, London. 

In early 1958 it was withdrawn from operation and was stored at Swindon Works for a short period before it was returned to Metropolitan Vickers for conversion as a prototype 25 kV AC electric locomotive. As an electric locomotive, it was numbered E1000 (E2001 from 1959) and was given the TOPS classification of class 80.


Requires chassis,wheels etc
  GT3 loco
The Chocolate Zephyr


GT3, meaning Gas Turbine number 3 (following 18000 and 18100 as gas turbines 1 and 2), was a prototype mainline gas turbine locomotive built in 1961 by English Electric at their Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows to investigate the use of its gas turbines in rail traction applications.
Upon completion of the Shap test runs GT3 was returned to English Electric at Vulcan Foundry at the end of 1962 and stored.
It was partially disantled and finally scrapped in 1966.

Requires chassis,wheels etc
   BR class 23 diesel loco (Baby Deltic)

original condition

class of ten Bo-Bo diesel-electric locomotives built by the English Electric Company (EE) in 1959.
After numerous problems and attempts to fix them, it was decided by BR and EE to refurbish the class and modify the engines with new parts designed by the engine manufacturer. The locos also had modifications to their nose ends, losing the gangway doors and headcode discs in favour of a central roller blind headcode box. 
The modifications were successful, but only lasted till 1971. 

None have been preserved. 


Requires finishing off, wheels etc
BR class 23 diesel loco (Baby Deltic)

Final modified condition

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

  bogie sides for class 23 loco
  BR class 41 diesel loco (Warship)



British Railways Class 41 diesel-hydraulic locomotives were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow during 1957 and 1958 .
They worked on the London-Plymouth-Penzance route of the Western Region.
All five locomotives were withdrawn on 30 December 1967.

None have been preserved. 


Requires finishing off, wheels etc
BR class 41 diesel loco (Warship)

modified final condition




Requires finishing off, wheels etc
     
Electric Locomotives    
Midland Railway Battery Loco.

The North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) built a battery loco for T. Bolton & Sons in 1917. This lasted till 1963, and is now preserved at NRM. The other was built by Midland Railway in Derby in 1913 for shunting at Poplar docks.


Requires chassis, and finishing
 
North Staffordshire Railway Battery Loco.

The North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) built a battery loco for T. Bolton & Sons in 1917. This lasted till 1963, and is now preserved at NRM. The other was built by Midland Railway in Derby in 1913 for shunting at Poplar docks.


Requires chassis, and finishing
 
   Class 80 loco


Class 80 was the TOPS classification allocated by British Rail to the prototype 25 kV AC electric locomotive. This locomotive was built by Metropolitan-Vickers, initially as a prototype gas turbine-electric locomotive, numbered 18100. British Rail allocated the number E1000 (and later E2001) to the locomotive following its conversion from gas turbine propulsion.

The locomotive was used to prepare the ground for the 25 kV AC electrification being installed on the West Coast Main Line, including the testing of overhead line equipment and staff training. 
Once the production locomotives (Class 81 onwards) were in service, E2001 was no longer required. It was put into store at the end of 1961, and lasted for over ten years at various locations. It was officially withdrawn in April 1968 and scrapped in November 1972 at J Cashmore in Great Bridge. 

Requires chassis,wheels etc
NER 2-CO-2 electric loco EE1


In the 1910s the North Eastern Railway made plans to electrify its York-Newcastle main line and this locomotive was built for hauling passenger trains. 

After grouping in 1923 the London and North Eastern Railway dropped the electrification project so the locomotive was never used. It survived into British Railways ownership but was withdrawn in August 1950.

In 1945, no. 13 was classified EE1 (Electric Express 1) and renumbered to 6999; and under British Railways, it became no. 26600 in 1948. 

Includes bogies 

Requires chassis,wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway Camel-back electric loco (nos 1-10)


The Metropolitan Railway ordered electric locomotives from British Westinghouse and made by Metropolitan Amalgamated. The first ten were built with Westinghouse electrical control equipment and entered service in 1906. These 'camel-back' bogie locomotives featured a central cab.
Forward visibility was not good,so next loco type had flat fronts. Also the state of the art electrical equipment was not as reliable and some changes were made, but ultimately new locos were introduced. 
One was converted into a new style which ultimately ended up with new build MetroVickers locos which were very successful . 



Requires finishing off, wheels etc

  Metropolitan Railway boxcab electric loco (nos 11-20)

The second ten, also constructed by Metropolitan Amalgamated, were built to a box car design with British Thompson Houston control equipment
Forward visibility on the camel-backs was not good, so this loco type had flat fronts. There were still some problems so when the next loco was designed (initially modifying one of each previous types) it had a V shaped front end to reduce wind noise.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
  Metropolitan Railway Metro-Vick electric locos

In the early 1920s, the Metropolitan placed an order with Metropolitan-Vickers for rebuilding the twenty electric locomotives. When work started on the first locomotive, it was found to be impractical and uneconomical and the order was changed to building completely new locomotives using some equipment recovered from the originals. The new locomotives were built in 1922-1923.
They proved very successful, and continued in service up till complete electrification of the Amersham line in 1960s.
2 locos are preserved, one of which is in full working order. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
    District Railway Electric Loco

The District Railway bought ten bogie box cab locomotives in 1905. They were manufactured by the Metropolitan Amalgamated Carriage and Wagon Company, and most of them had driving controls at one end. Consequently, they were worked in pairs, coupled back to back with the cabs at the outer end.
The locomotives were used to haul London and North Western Railway passenger trains on the electrified section of the Outer Circle route between Earl's Court and Mansion House. After that servce was terminated in 1908,they were used to haul District line trains, one coupled to each end of a rake of four trailer cars. From 1910 trains from the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway (LT&SR) were extended over the District line, the steam locomotives being exchanged for electric ones at Barking. Two rakes of carriages were provided by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, and were hauled over the District tracks by the locomotives working in pairs. 

Three of the locomotives were withdrawn , the remaining 7 continued in service up till 1938, and the final one in 1939 when the service closed at start of WW2.

Some of the LTSR(Ealing) coaches were bought by the government to run troop trains on the Shropshire and Montgomery Railway and continued in use up till 1960s.

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

======================================

Direct links to lists for each scale below

locomotives rolling stock
 

====================================================

Currently adding links to all my designs, all other designs please go to my Shapeways e-shop.