3D Printed standard gauge Railcars

(ex Great Western Railway region)

 

The GWR  tested a petrol railcar in 1912, which was used in the London area till 1917, when it was sold to Levers Bros to use at Port Sunlight. 

In 1933, the Great Western Railway introduced the first of what was to become a very successful series of railcars, which survived in regular use into the 1960s.
The original design featured streamlined bodywork, which was very much the fashion at the time. The rounded lines of the first examples built led to their nickname: "flying banana".

Gloucester RCW built 3 new railcars to a slightly improved design with sliding doors, numbered 5,6,7 These were followed up with 9 more. Toilets were added to some and other small changes were also introduced.
No 17 was a parcels car, capacity 10 long tons built by Gloucester RCW, in same style as other GWR railcars built by Gloucester RCW.It was withdrawn in 1959.

Sideplates were removed to make maintenance easier.

After the successful introduction of streamline diesel railcars by the GWR in the 1930s it was decided to build some which could pull other coaches or wagons. No 18 was a prototype , with buffers & draw gear for hauling vans . After tests it was mainly used on the Lambourne branch line from Newbury, and was withdrawn in 1957.

It was then decided to built 20 more, but this time construction would be carried out in the Swindon works. 
The new design was more angular, and included 2 sets of twin car units, another parcels railcar, and the rest standard single railcars. 
The twin railcars had gangway connections, one car including a small buffet. Additional coaches could be added in between, normally only one. twin car no 37 was damaged by fire in 1947, so single car no 33 was rebuilt with a gangway end and coupled to car no 38. 



Nos 19 to 33 single car passenger
No 34 single parcel railcar
Nos 35 and 36 twin set one
Nos 37(replaced by rebuilt no 33 in 1947) and 38 twin set two

 

 

 

Description Model Scales
    Click on Red Triangles for link to specific scale item on Shapeways
GWR Petrol railcar

Built by British Thomas Houston Company for the GWR in 1912. It was mainly used in the London area, then sold to Lever Bros for use at Port Sunlight, in 1917, then withdrawn around about 1923. 

Requires wheels, finishing etc. 
 
GWR  Railcar nos 5 -16.


Original with side plates

Requires chassis, bogies, interior and finishing.
 
GWR  Railcar nos 5 -16.


Modified without side plates

Requires chassis, bogies, interior and finishing.
 
GWR Parcels Railcar no 17.

Original with side plates

Requires chassis, bogies, interior and finishing.
 
GWR Parcels Railcar no 17.

Modified without side plates

Requires chassis, bogies, interior and finishing.
 
GWR diesel Railcar no 18

No 18 was a prototype, with buffers & draw gear for hauling vans . 

requires bogies ,wheels and finishing

 







GWR diesel Railcar,single passenger 

This one is for nos 19 to 33 single car passenger

requires bogies ,wheels and finishing

 
GWR diesel Railcar,single parcels 

 

This one is for no 34 single parcels car
requires bogies ,wheels and finishing

 

 
GWR diesel Railcar,twin passenger (converted from single)

This one is for no 33 rebuilt as twin car passenger
requires bogies ,wheels and finishing

 

 
GWR diesel Railcar,twin passenger 

This one is for nos 35 and 37 twin car passenger

requires bogies ,wheels and finishing

 

 
GWR diesel Railcar,twin passenger with Buffet

This one is for nos 36 and 38 twin car passenger with buffet

requires bogies ,wheels and finishing

 

 

Pictures are just for reference, not of specific scaled model. 

 

All 3D printed designs by Simon Dawson (Rue d'Étropal) , currently produced to order by Shapeways. Just follow links to Shapeways pages.

 

===============================