3D Printed 

London Transport (District Line) trains

Description Model Scales
     Click on Red Triangles for link to specific scale item on Shapeways
District line G stock - Q23

The G stock was introduced in 1923. Running on the District line. In 1938 it was upgraded and became Q23 stock, running with other types of District stock, Q27, Q31, Q35 and Q38. These units ran up till the 70s, so were some of the last clerestory stock used for passenger service in the UK.

This was also used on the Acton Shuttle 


 requires chassis. 

District Line K stock- Q27

The K stock was introduced in 1927. An improved version of the G stock, with more rounded end to clerestory. Running on the District line. In 1938 it was upgraded and became Q27 stock, running with other types of District stock, Q23, Q31, Q35 and Q38. These units ran up till the 70s, so were some of the last clerestory stock used for passenger service in the UK.
 requires chassis 
London Underground Q31 stock (L stock originally)

Driver coach



London Underground L Stock was built for the District line in 1932 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q31 Stock.

The L Stock trains were built to provide additional rolling stock for the eastward extension of the District Line from Barking to Upminster. 

Forty-five cars were built by the Union Construction Company, eight were driving motor cars and the rest were trailers. The eight motor cars, numbered 700-714 (even numbers only), were initially owned by the London Midland and Scottish Railway.

The L Stock was based on the 1927 K Stock.

The conversion from L Stock to Q31 Stock took place in the late 1930s, with the major modification being the conversion of the hand-operated sliding doors to air operation. The last Q Stock trains were withdrawn in 1971. 

Requires chassis, bogies, wheels etc and finishing.
London Underground Q31 stock (L stock originally)

Trailer coach


London Underground L Stock was built for the District line in 1932 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q31 Stock.

The L Stock trains were built to provide additional rolling stock for the eastward extension of the District Line from Barking to Upminster. 

Forty-five cars were built by the Union Construction Company, eight were driving motor cars and the rest were trailers. The eight motor cars, numbered 700-714 (even numbers only), were initially owned by the London Midland and Scottish Railway.

The L Stock was based on the 1927 K Stock.

The conversion from L Stock to Q31 Stock took place in the late 1930s, with the major modification being the conversion of the hand-operated sliding doors to air operation. The last Q Stock trains were withdrawn in 1971. 

Requires chassis, bogies, wheels etc and finishing.
London Underground Q35 stock (M and N originally)

Driver coach




London Underground M Stock was built for the Hammersmith & City line in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q35 Stock. The M Stock was based on the 1927 K stock. Twenty-eight cars were built in 1935 by Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company: fourteen were driving motor cars and the rest were trailers. All the driving motor cars were converted to trailers between 1947 and 1955.
Upon conversion to Q Stock, all the cars were transferred to the District line 

London Underground N Stock was built in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated London Underground Q35 Stock. The N Stock was based on the 1927 K Stock. Twenty-six cars, all trailers, were built in 1935 by Metropolitan Cammell. 

Requires chassis, bogies, wheels etc and finishing.
 
London Underground Q35 stock (M and N originally)



Trailer coach


London Underground M Stock was built for the Hammersmith & City line in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q35 Stock. The M Stock was based on the 1927 K stock. Twenty-eight cars were built in 1935 by Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company: fourteen were driving motor cars and the rest were trailers. All the driving motor cars were converted to trailers between 1947 and 1955.
Upon conversion to Q Stock, all the cars were transferred to the District line 

London Underground N Stock was built in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated London Underground Q35 Stock. The N Stock was based on the 1927 K Stock. Twenty-six cars, all trailers, were built in 1935 by Metropolitan Cammell. 

Requires chassis, bogies, wheels etc and finishing.
 
District Line O and P stock - Q38

The O and P stock were introduced in 1937. Non clerestory roof, more modern looking. Running on the District line. In 1938 it was upgraded and became Q27 stock, running with other types of District stock, Q23,Q27, Q31 and Q35 . These units ran up till the 70s, so were some of the last clerestory stock used for passenger survive in the UK.

.


This is the driving version.
 requires chassis

 
District Line O and P non driving trailer - Q38

The O and P stock were introduced in 1937. Non clerestory roof, more modern looking. Running on the District line. In 1938 it was upgraded and became Q27 stock, running with other types of District stock, Q23,Q27, Q31 and Q35 . These units ran up till the 70s, so were some of the last clerestory stock used for passenger service in the UK.
This is the non driving trailer version.

Some converted post war into R38 driver coaches to run with new R47 stock 


  requires chassis 

 
District line R38 driver coach

R Stock electric multiple units were used on London Underground's District line from 1949 to 1983. Composed of new cars and converted Q38 Stock trailers.
The new trailer cars were designated R47 and built by Birmingham RC&W and Gloucester RC&W and the 82 Q Stock trailers converted into driver cars by Gloucester RC&W from Q38 trailer were designated R38/1.
A second batch - 90 R49 cars were constructed from aluminum and built by Metro Cammell.
A third batch of 13 R59 twenty cars were introduced in 1959 for the Circle Line. 
R Stock trains were replaced by the D78 Stock and withdrawn between 1981 and 1983 .
District line R47 non driver coach

R Stock electric multiple units were used on London Underground's District line from 1949 to 1983. Composed of new cars and converted Q38 Stock trailers.
The new trailer cars were designated R47 and built by Birmingham RC&W and Gloucester RC&W and the 82 Q Stock trailers converted into driver cars by Gloucester RC&W from Q38 trailer were designated R38/1.
A second batch - 90 R49 cars were constructed from aluminum and built by Metro Cammell.
A third batch of 13 R59 twenty cars were introduced in 1959 for the Circle Line. 
R Stock trains were replaced by the D78 Stock and withdrawn between 1981 and 1983 .

Requires chassis and finishing
District line R49 driver coach

R Stock electric multiple units were used on London Underground's District line from 1949 to 1983. Composed of new cars and converted Q38 Stock trailers.
The new trailer cars were designated R47 and built by Birmingham RC&W and Gloucester RC&W and the 82 Q Stock trailers converted into driver cars by Gloucester RC&W from Q38 trailer were designated R38/1.
A second batch - 90 R49 cars were constructed from aluminum and built by Metro Cammell.
A third batch of 13 R59 twenty cars were introduced in 1959 for the Circle Line. 
R Stock trains were replaced by the D78 Stock and withdrawn between 1981 and 1983 .

Requires chassis and finishing
District line F stock

The F Stock was built in 1920 and 1921 for the District Railway .One hundred steel-bodied cars were built: 40 driving motors, 12 control trailers and 48 trailers with the first train entering service on 23 December 1920.
The control trailers were converted into driving motor cars between 1938 and 1940. In the 1950s they wer transferrd to the Metropolitan lines, and the last ones were withdrawn in 1963. For such a successful design , it is a shame none were preserved. 

District line F stock

Double ended motor coach

Requires chassis and finishing
 
District line F stock

Centre trailer coach

Requires chassis and finishing
 
District line F stock

Single ended driver trailer/single ended motor coach

Requires chassis and finishing
 
District Railway E stock

E Stock were steel-bodied cars built for the District Railway in 1914 by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company.

Thirty cars were built, twenty-six driving motor cars and four trailers.They were based on the earlier C Stock and D Stock but differed in that the roof was elliptical rather than the clerestory roof of the C Stock and D Stock. 

Motor and trailer cars were based on same body, as it was originally intended to convert cars from one to the other. WW1 stopped further production , and F stock was built after WW1 instead. 
Originally fitted with roof vents, which proved to be too effective!. Subsequently removed. 
C,D and E stock could be found in same train sets, and ran until 1950s. 

Requires finishing off, wheels etc
District Railway C and D stock




C Stock were steel-bodied cars built for the District Railway in 1910.The additional rolling stock was required to increase the frequency of the service

Fifty-two cars were built by Hurst Nelson, thirty-two were driving motor cars and twenty trailer cars. The design was based on the earlier B Stock and was the basis for the D Stock trains.


D Stock was built by Metropolitan Amalgamated Railway Carriage & Wagon in Saltley, England for the District Railway in 1912. A total of thirty cars were built, twenty-two were driving motor cars and eight were trailers. In 1928 the eight trailer cars were rebuilt into motor cars at Acton Works. 

In 1928 the trailer cars were rebuilt into driver/motor cars.

In the 1940s the C, D and E stocks were reclassified as "H Stock" (signifying hand-operated doors), along with other pre-1938 District Line rolling stock that had not been converted to have air-operated doors. The H Stock was largely eliminated by the early 1950s, following replacement by R Stock. The remaining cars were largely confined to the Olympia shuttle service and were withdrawn from passenger service by the late 1950s. A few examples continued in use for a time, painted grey, as "Stores Carriers", before being finally broken up in May 1963



District Railway C and D stock

Motor Cars


Requires finishing off, wheels etc



District Railway C and D stock

Trailer Cars

Requires finishing off, wheels etc



District Railway C and D stock

Driver trailer cars(conversion)

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

District Railway B stock

 

Built in 1905 for the District Railway .
420 vehicles were built, formed into sixty 7-car units, by both Brush Traction and Metropolitan Cammell, and in France by Les Ateliers de Construction du Nord de la France.

These units were wooden-bodied and were based on the prototype A Stock.

The final cars were withdrawn by the 1940s. Afterwards, at least three cars were transferred into departmental service, being used as a weed killing train. No vehicles have survived into preservation. 



Requires finishing off, wheels etc

District Railway B stock

Motor luggage coach

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

District Railway B stock

End Motor coach

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

District Railway B stock

Middle Motor coach (double ended)

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

District Railway B stock

Trailer coach

Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

District Railway LTSR Ealing Coaches




From 1910 trains from the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway (LT&SR) were extended over the District line, the steam locomotives being exchanged for electric ones at Barking. Two rakes of carriages were provided by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, and were hauled over the District tracks by the locomotives working in pairs. 

Three of the locomotives were withdrawn , the remaining 7 continued in service up till 1938, and the final one in 1939 when the service closed at start of WW2.

Some of the LTSR(Ealing) coaches were bought by the government to run troop trains on the Shropshire and Montgomery Railway and continued in use up till 1960s.



LTSR/District Railway all 3rd

Based on drawings of coaches in original condition.


Requires finishing off, wheels etc

LTSR/District Railway composite

Based on drawings of coaches in original condition.


Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

LTSR/District Railway Brake 3rd

Based on drawings of coaches in original condition.


Requires finishing off, wheels etc

 

Pictures are just for reference, not of specific scaled model. 

---------------------------------------------------------

All 3D printed designs by Simon Dawson (Rue d'Étropal) , currently produced to order by Shapeways. Just follow links to Shapeways pages.

 

===============================